Sanctuary Bay: A Novel
Publisher: St. Martin’s Griffin
Publication Date: 1/19/16
Genres: Mystery, Thriller, Contemporary
Age Group: Young Adult
When Sarah Merson receives the opportunity of a lifetime to attend the most elite prep school in the country—Sanctuary Bay Academy—it seems almost too good to be true. But, after years of bouncing from foster home to foster home and struggling with the memory of her parent’s murder, escaping to the school’s tranquil setting, nestled deep in Swans Island, couldn't sound more appealing. Swiftly thrown into a world of privilege and secrets, Sarah quickly realizes finding herself noticed by class charmer, Nate, as well as her roommate's dangerously attentive boyfriend, Ethan, are the least of her worries. When her roommate suddenly goes missing, she finds herself in a race against time, not only to find her, but to save herself and discover the dark truth behind Sanctuary Bay's glossy reputation.
*Author Guest Post*
"10 Random Things About Us"
- Laura J. Burns & Melinda Metz
- We name our dogs after sci-fi characters. There have been Spock and Bones, Scully, and Starbuck so far.
- We are really bad at starting a book. Like, really bad! We generally write at least 80% of the book in the last two weeks before a deadline, after procrastinating for months. We hope our editor isn’t reading this.
- Laura is a Gemini, and Melinda is a Pisces.
- Melinda has very little interest in epic sagas, while Laura has very little interest in anything else.
- We met while working as editors on the R.L. Stine series Fear Street
- Melinda pronounces (and hears) the words “berry”, “barry”, and “bury” the same way. Laura says (and hears) them as three distinct words.
- We are both introverts.
- We created the book series “Roswell High” together—Laura as editor, Melinda as writer. Later, we were staff writers on the TV show based on the books, “Roswell.” [Melinda note: Laura always says she was the editor of the books, when she was co-creator. She came up with tons of plot and character stuff. For starters, and this is really just for starters: Incubation pods.] [Laura note: I legitimately do not remember coming up with incubation pods. But I believe Melinda.]
- When we grew up, you were either a Luke Skywalker girl or a Han Solo girl. We were—and are—both team Solo.
- We both avoid cooking whenever possible.
About the Authors:
Laura J. Burns and Melinda Metz have written many books for teens and middle-grade readers, including the Edgar-nominated mystery series Wright and Wong and the YA novels Crave and Sacrifice. They have also written for the TV shows Roswell, 1-800-Missing, and The Dead Zone. Laura lives in New York and Melinda lives in North Carolina, but really they mostly live on email, where they do most of their work together.
- One winner will receive a finished copy of Sanctuary Bay courtesy of St. Martin's Griffin!
- US & Canada ONLY
- Ends 2/3 @ 11:59PM EST